Israel Tour & Arab Citizens of Israel PeulaA UK Task Force peula on making the most of Israel Tour programming featuring Arab citizens of Israel
Group size: ideally 15-20 (split tour in half) but can be done with 30-40
Age range: 16
Time: 1 hour
- For chanichim to be informed about who Arab citizens of Israel are
- To strengthen participants' connection to Israel whilst reflecting the reality and diversity of issues and people in Israel
- To show chanichim that this topic is a norm as a conversation on Tour, and how to have this conversation
- To prepare chanichim to get the most educationally from sites and activities on Tour that relate to Arab citizens of Israel
Trigger (10 minutes)
- Energetic group split (3 minutes)
- Team names and buzzer sounds (2 minutes)
- Short general quiz to introduce key facts (10 minutes)
- What is the population of the UK? 64.1 million
- What is the population of Israel? 8.01 million
- What is the population of this room? 15
- How many Jews are there in the world? 13.86 million
- How many Jews live in the UK? 290,000 (0.46%)
- What is the largest city by population in Israel? Jerusalem
- Bonus: What percentage of Israel is Arab? 20.7% (1.66 million)
- Now have madrichim stand along line on a spectrum from 0-100 percent, marking at 20 percent intervals
- Then move 20% of madrichim to one side of room to visualize Arab population in Israel
Main (60 minutes)
Introduction to UK Task Force (5 minutes)
- Coalition of 39 Jewish organisations
- An educational organisation, rather than a political organisation
- Address gaps in knowledge about Arab citizens of Israel among British Jewry
- Israeli ambassador's endorsement shows importance of the issue
- "For the government of Israel, developing the potential of Israel's Arab citizens is a matter of great and long-term importance. The UK Task Force has generated impressively broad based support from across the Jewish community towards this vital goal. I wish you continued success working alongside Israel as we strive for further progress."
- As tour chanichim: It is important to gain an understanding of why, as young British Jews, we should care about all aspects of Israeli society, including its non-Jewish minority, in our tour experiences.
Who are Arab citizens of Israel? Religious and geographical spread (10 minutes)
- Have each team draw a giant pie chart displaying their guesses for the religious make up of the Israeli Arab population (Bedouin 13%/Muslim 71%/Christian 8%/Druze 8%) (5 minutes)
- Who lives where? Draw or use a human model as a map of Israel, which chanichim have to fill in. Reveal answer (5 minutes)
Play your cards right activity: Display this variety of key facts (w/brief case study info when relevant) as a higher or lower game, using the numbers as you see fit. (5 minutes)
- What percentage of Israeli parliamentarians are Arab citizens?
- 13% of MKs
- What percentage of university undergraduate students are Arab citizens?
- 9% of university undergraduate students
- What percentage of Israel's state development budget was allocated toward the Arab population?
- 6.25% of state developmentbudget
- What percentage of Arab citizens of Israel identify as 'proud' to be Israeli?
- 65% identify proudly as Israeli
- What percentage of Arab citizens of Israel live below the poverty line?
- 50% are under poverty line (compared to 20% of Jews - but has gone down from 54% since 2009)
- How many Arab citizens of Israel completed military service in the 2012/13 year?
- 3600 did military service, increasing by hundreds per year
- How many civil society organisations work on issues relating to Israel's Arab minority?
- 1500 civil society organisations working on issues relating to Arab citizens
Declaration of Independence Activity - why this subject matters to us (20 minutes):
Write two or three sentences of a Declaration of Independence for a theoretical new country (based on Zionist thinker and Jewish text sources) that relate to treatment of a minority population (10 minutes). Use Sources:
- What does Judaism say about 'the other'?
- What did Zionist thinkers say about Arabs in Israel?
- Draw an appropriate flag that is inclusive for all inhabitants.
Teams present back to the whole group (10 minutes)
Chanichim Question Time (10 minutes):
Split into 4 groups, each with 2 of these questions. Prepare a 1 minute roleplay answering these questions.
- Who are Israel's Arab citizens?
- How do they identify themselves?
- Do they recognise Israel’s right to exist?
- Do Arabs have equal rights in Israel?
- Do Jews and Arabs have the same standard of living?
- What kind of jobs do they do?
- How are Arabs represented in the political system?
- Do Arabs serve in the IDF?
Sikkum (5 minutes)
Summarise session with the key facts quiz (mainly a fun speed game but links back to the start of the session).
- Quiz questions document answers
- 4x big pieces of paper (for pie chart and then independence declaration use)
- 4x marker pens
- Large print out of Israel map
- Large print outs of Key Facts sheet
- Judaism and Zionism sources x4